Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hellooooo

Hi,
I had a bone marrow biopsy last Monday and have received a few results. The blasts (irregular blood cells that screw everything up and can grow until you have Leukemia) are in the 1-5 range which is considered normal. Last time they were in the 5-10 range so this is good news. I'm still struggling with my old cells coming back (boy vs girl) but the boys are increasing a little. I'm still waiting on the chromosomal tests. I had 2 "bad actors" as of last biopsy so we'll see what we see. The new targeted therapy drug is suppose to kill them. I hope so cause this drug is a challenge. I am much more fatigued than I was when it was just the regular chemo (Vidaza). I have continued my Vegan ways and it's been VERY helpful.
I'm still waiting for the drug companies or scientists to come up with some great therapy that will edit my crappy chromosomes. I would love to avoid a second transplant. I start my next round of chemo tomorrow and in a week from that I'll go to VCU for an infusion of my old donors blood. The hope is the donor blood will remind my body to go back to my donor cells and the vidaza (chemo) will kill off my girl cells.  At that point I would be in remission and eligible for a transplant. It's a lot of "ifs" and "whens". In the meantime I am still teaching and have great students this semester. Of course I spend time with my fam and young Thomas. He's endlessly interesting and adorable.
My daughter in law, Katie gave me a buzz cut this week. The new drug does not support hair! I've lost a few pounds and replaced them with a few wigs. I'm having fun with some new looks. Thomas is always amazed when he sees me in the wigs. It's magic!!! James is always researching anything that can help and is taking good care of me. I'm enjoying it!
More when I get the rest of the results. They have to grow stuff so it takes a while.
Here's to an early spring!
B

1 comment: