Monday, January 14, 2019

Tests and More Tests


Hi,
I spent the day at UVA getting tests in prep for the big event. I had a Pulmonary Function Test (good results) a bone marrow biopsy (we'll see in a few days but I'm guessing I have cancer), an echo cardiograph  (looks fine) and they took a ton of blood to test for a ton of things. The entry date for the hospital is Jan 27-30th somewhere in there, and the transplant will take place 7 days later. They estimate a month in the hospital and if all looks good, back home to rest and heal for 6 months or so. It all depends on my immune system growing, bone marrow growing, ability to make blood etc.
So I'm busy getting ready, getting things in order at home and at school.
The transplant doc says the chemo regime will be a little lighter because of my age but they expect it will do it's job. So far I am liking the transplant team. I feel strongly that this is my best option but it's still scary as hell.
My daughter-in-law, Katie Mason-Yates' mother, Jama Mason has offered to organize my after hospital care. The plan so far looks like February in the hospital, James will spend the first week out with me and he'll drop me off at the clinic when I need infusions/meds. I'll need someone to drive me home and stay with me until he gets home. I'll also need help on off clinic days. I'll post Jama's contact once we have a system in place in case anyone has the time or interest in helping me through this. I'm resisting hiring a stranger- that would be very tough.  Anyway.... I need some blood- I'm a pint short so I'll be getting a pint tomorrow morning.
Did I mention I bought 3 pairs of cute PJ's?
I'll keep you all up to date so that when we talk, we can focus on gardening, art, and of course my grandson, Thomas. I have another grandchild on the way too. We may share birthdays! It's first, my third!
Take care,
Beryl

1 comment:

  1. Cute PJs are essential. And I know you'll be rockin' those 🌹 Hobbit Crocs (!) Wostrel-Coffeys on your care train.

    ReplyDelete